Kathleen Mapson & Company



diy roman shades from casa bouquet For starters, I LOVE the windows in Tropical G's office. They are nicely tucked away in the corner which gives full usage of the walls on both sides. They allow a nice amount of natural light into her space, and the view...OMG...the view is beyond amazing! It looks like a little Hawaiian oasis in her backyard. She has a huge, beautiful palm tree that sits right at her window and takes you away to a place that's all dreamy. Isn't the view all kinds of lovely! GAAH!!!!


I knew when we started this project (Part 1) that I wanted to hang roman shades. Because of how tight the windows are in the corner, hanging ceiling to floor drapes was not the best idea. And the fact that I was recommending the removal of the doors from the closet (Part 2) and replacing those doors with drapes was another factor. The roman shades would allow the room to feel a little more fresh and light, and could be easily pulled all the way up to escape to paradise. The fabric I selected paired so beautifully with the peacock fabric for the closet door replacement. It kept the tropical vibe going.

Tip: When selecting fabrics, I like to start with what I call a base fabric. The base fabric is used to pull together the color scheme for your space. It is a sure fire way to select fabrics and hues that complement each other.

Of course, the seamstress herself would have a hand at making the shades, and she is talking all about it today on her blog, Casa Bouquet. So to learn more, hop on over there and check it out. Be sure to come back next week for the final reveal of Project Tropical G!

Excerpt from Casa Bouquet – DIY Roman ShadesLisa Grable, Casa Bouquet

We had a little bobble when Kathleen (of Kathleen Mapson & Company) suggested roman shades for my two corner windows. Too many of the DIY links we found were for non-operational shades. So here’s my version of what works!

Kathleen chose a coral-red fabric with no pattern. So we did not have to worry about a repeat. Other supplies I needed were 1×2 pieces of wood for each window, 2 flat wood pieces for bottom of shade (1 x ¼ inch), 2 L-brackets for each window with screws, electric screwdriver or drill, electric staple gun, blackout curtain lining, roman shade tape with rings, cord for the rings, cord condensers, cord cleats, new size-18 machine needle, and 1 spool of thread to match the fabric. [I just love that the thread for this project was “Flamingo”!]

Don't forget to stop by Casa Bouquet now!

Making Home, Home!